Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Teachers are Like Surfers


The Slice of Life Challenge is hosted by Two Writing Teachers
At the Illinois Reading Council Conference, Cris Tovani ended one of her sessions with this Surfer’s Dogma.  She said she saw it in a surf shop when she was on vacation, and it made her think that teachers are a lot like surfers. 

Today has been a stress-filled teaching day, and I am left feeling overwhelmed and not good enough and bitter and helpless.  This dogma is just what I need.  

1. Passion Rules
2. No Dare—No Flair
3. Expect to Wipe Out
4. Never Turn Your Back on the Ocean
5. Move Before it Moves You
6. Never Surf Alone
7. Keep Looking Outside


11 comments:

  1. Christy, I've had that kind of a day as well. I love the Surfer's Dogma. I especially like "Never Surf Alone". We're all in this together so supporting each other lifts all of us in the end! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thsnks for sharing that, Christy. There are days when I really need that kind of encouragement. It seems that teachers hold ourselves to an unrealistically high standard, sometimes. It helps to realize that others are experiencing the same sorts of frustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. Just wanted I needed. Some days I feel like I've fallen off my surfboard and into the water and sometimes I even feel like I'm drowning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any type of dogma that can motivate and encourage teachers is deeply appreciated. We are always attacked by sharks, but we will not be victims.

    I appreciate when you share all of the wonderful things you gain at conferences... building capacity in other teachers is key. Thanks for sharing, Christy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any type of dogma that can motivate and encourage teachers is deeply appreciated. We are always attacked by sharks, but we will not be victims.

    I appreciate when you share all of the wonderful things you gain at conferences... building capacity in other teachers is key. Thanks for sharing, Christy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE THIS! My favorite is "Never turn your back on the ocean". I'm going to print this out and tape it to my wall for the next time I fall off my surfboard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you had a tough day. :-(
    Sometimes when Passion Rules we get burned by that flame. You are good enough, you make a difference. Hang ten!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry to hear that your day was tough. You're not surfing alone. Though some friends might be on the other side of the world.
    Terje

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hopefully tomorrow will be better:)
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need this. I know some others who need it.
    Thank you a gazillion times for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Greetings! How do you think what does your average reader look like?

    ReplyDelete