Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Thursday, March 22, 2012

A Slice of Stacks

Recently, I attended the Illinois Reading Council conference.  While I was there, I did some shopping.  Here are pics of what I purchased.  These are NOT book spine poems.  These are the actual stacks of books I brought home.  Luckily we drove and did have to fly on an airplane.  I have a lot of reading to do.   

These are some of the 20 titles nominated for the 2013 Rebecca Caudill Young Readers' Book Award in the state of Illinois

These were purchased as gifts. 

These I have heard about through blogs, through knowing the author, or just plain looked good to me.

These are the titles I bought after listing to Becky Anderson's book talks for high school students and grades k-8.

This is NOT a stack of books, but it is something else I couldn't resist purchasing. 

13 comments:

  1. Holy large amount of books, Batman. (I'm a dork for writing that, I know.) You've got a lot of reading to do. I'm sure you're lovin' that reality.

    LOVE the t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have a lot of reading to do (and your book allowance is better then mine!) Can't wait to have you share the best of the best with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing you did drive!! The Graveyard Book, Extra Yarn, and Hero sound good to me. The weekend is coming so you can read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurrah for the tee! How awesome are the stacks! I too have some, & sometimes people kind of laugh at me for them. Like, when are you going to read the top one, or can't you shelve them somewhere? Amazingly, I have only a few of these. Now you're offering more for my TBR, & possible stack list. I just got Extra Yarn-so fun, & I do have the Smile book & Little Brother. I'll look forward to the review of it. It's interesting and a little alarming.!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That's some stack after stack of books. You will be one busy reading maniac working your way through these. Sounds like a fun time. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I did some shopping" is a serious understatement. Since envy is not a positive feeling I will just feel happy for you. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your stacks---I'm getting ready for another shopping expedition. I'll have to share mine when I get it done. Lately I've been shopping Goodwill stores wherever I go. Finding great things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Book talks for high school students caught my eye! Any good recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am SO JEALOUS! I've read a couple from your stacks....and now I'm going to see what's on Amazon before Husband gets home...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Book shopping is one of my favorite things to do. You'll get through them in no time! SHOOTING KABUL is a good one, and I am looking forward to reading your reviews for these titles.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could live in the bookstore. Pics of someone else's stacks are like invitation to - "Come and see what I'm going to read! Come, read with me!"

    The Sky is Everywhere is one of my all-time favourite YA novels. I can't wait to see what else Jandy Nelson writes. I also really enjoyed Little Brother. I'll be checking out the stacks of titles you've shared.

    ReplyDelete
  12. FUN!
    (Is there really anything else to say?)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My daughter loved Smile and recommended it to her brother. She had braces at the time. I want to read Extra Yarn. Have fun and more books for the blog.

    ReplyDelete