Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Slice of Life Challenge March 2012

The Slice of Life Challenge is hosted by Two Writing Teachers


I didn’t slice yesterday.  I think it might have been intentional. 

You see, if I slice all 31 days, then I am eligible for a prize.  However, if I slice only 30 out of 31 days then I know I did all that writing just for me.  And I got a lot of slicing this year (my 3rd year of participation—boy I had no clue that first year, but it gets easier and more rewarding each year).  Here are some of the things I gained from writing throughout March this year:

·      When I read the slices of other people before writing my own slice for the day, it is much more difficult to quiet the voice in my head that says, “My writing is not good enough.”

·      Writing my own slices and reading the slices and comments of others makes me feel validated.

·      There is an art to working negativity into a slice without sounding like a negative person.

·      I think a lot about audience when I write.

·      I often have to start by getting the background of a story down in words before I figure out that the best place to start the story is inside of it.  I know this, and yet it often seems like that won’t work for this story until I start writing it.

·      I am a very open person in general.  So, when I am keeping something close the bone, it is more difficult to write because I am avoiding writing the big truths in my life.

·      There is room in my life for more (more writing, keeping up with more slicers, more commenting, more life).

·      I hold on to moments that I have written about with greater strength than those about which I do not write.

·      I care deeply about other slicers in this community.  I am a compassionate person, but still this surprised me this year.

·      The Two Writing Teachers website has impacted my life and who I am as a writer, a teacher, a human so greatly that I think I am going to have to return tomorrow to address this topic. 

16 comments:

  1. Nice to have met you, Christy. Thank you for all the comments and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Christy, thank you for starting this conversation about the impact of the journey. There is so much to say, isn't there? It's been quite a month & amazingly for some of the slicers, I remember. I remember you reading, reading & then posting on the students' blog so often I couldn't believe you were getting enough sleep. And then you went to the conference & shared so much. Fun, fun to hear you write about all you do with your students, so thank you for your terrific posts. Looking forward to Tuesdays! Thanks also for the continued thoughtful comments to my posts. I appreciate it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found myself nodding at so many of these reflections on this amazing challenge, Christy. Reading your slices has been one of the perks of this challenge for me. I've enjoyed your writing -your honesty, your humour, your knowledge, and your openness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have loved slicing with you, learning from you and your great comments. I will be looking forward to our Tuesday slicing!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to speak with that voice in your head please, Don't you ever think your words are not good enough! You have a wonderful way of writing, I am in awe of the way you tell a story.
    Christy, your words matter to everyone who reads you. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I giggled about missing yesterday so you knew you didn't do it for the prize. That was funny. I really enjoyed your reflections and could relate to so many of them. This one really resonated with me, "There is an art to working negativity into a slice without sounding like a negative person." This forum for writing makes me very nervous to write some of the loudest thoughts going on in my head because they are often just glimpses of the day, week, month but the ones that fuel the most emotion which can lead to the most interesting writing. Thank you for your thoughts! Look forward to reading more on Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to read and learn from you. Your comments and your writing have impacted me more than you could ever imagine. I am forever grateful. Miles away and I have a mentor. Miles away and I look forward to your encouraging words. Thank you! I look forward to reading your blog and learning more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "There is an art to working negativity into a slice without sounding like a negative person." This is something I have to work on constantly as a writer. My tagline is "Not your typical mommy blog," since I've found so many parenting blogs to be negatively charged. I'm glad we're both working on this as writers!

    I love that you intentionally missed yesterday. That says so much about who you are as a member of this community. So good to have you back for another year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I hold on to moments that I have written about with greater strength than those about which I do not write." This line sums up the reason I joined the challenge this year. I want to hold on to those moments for as long as possible! I want my children to be able to look back on them and remember who I was and what was important to me.

    Thank you for all you do for this community with your compassion, your openness, and your wonderful, encouraging comments. Keep writing and sharing because you add so much substance to our world by what you have to say and the way you say it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Writing before reading other slices was a wise thing to do, because then you wrote what you wanted to say the way you chose to do it. I read other slices before sometimes and several posts were not written because of that.
    I was worried when you didn't write one day. Good to know it was intentional.
    Today is not the end of writing and we'll meet again on other days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I appreciate this slice! So many things you stated are true for me as well. The point that most resonates with me is, "There is an art to working negativity into a slice without sounding like a negative person." This is so important. Not only in our slices, but also in our everyday lives.

    Christy, you have been my pseudo-mentor throughout this challenge, and I am so glad that I happened to come upon your blog because your writing makes me laugh, learn, and inspires me to keep up my personal writing journey -- not for anyone else, but for myself. See you on Tuesday, my new friend!

    -Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Christy--you silly woman---look back at your posts, read them again and tell me your writing isn't good enough. You make me laugh, cry and think every day. That is the make of writing that is "good enough". I am so glad we found each other through this challenge last year. Here's to many more Tuesday's!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can so relate to this...
    When I read the slices of other people before writing my own slice for the day, it is much more difficult to quiet the voice in my head that says, “My writing is not good enough.”

    ReplyDelete
  14. (So that's where you were yesterday. I wondered what happened.) Reflection increases our knowledge of what is working and where we have come from. Thank you for sharing your thoughts as I was nodding in agreement with them. You are a blessed, compassionate person. Thanks for sharing your kindess to others. Your words touch my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just found your site, and I want to know more -- about the challenge, your slices, about . . . everything.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Christy

    See you writing this dive, I highly menykainya, especially you really like to be a challenge, I hope this new year, you more courage in writing

    ReplyDelete