Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Kurt Vonnegut Knew My Dog


The Slice of Life Challenge is hosted by Two Writing Teachers
The Handicapper General enjoying the breeze in the backyard this afternoon. It was better than riding in the car!
I am convinced my dog is the Handicapper General from Kurt Vonnegut’s short story “Harrison Bergeron.” 

I originally sat down

ARF!  ARF!   ARF!

at quarter after 5 to write my slice.  I have an arsenal of ideas at the ready.  I am quickly learning from this year’s slicing challenge that knowing what I want to say

ARF!  ARF!   ARF!

and knowing how I want to say it are two very different things.  I am struggling with snippets of ideas, bouncing from topic to topic,

ARF!  ARF!   ARF!

opening new blank document after new blank document.  I am recovering from the beatdown of a Tuesday teacher’s institute day.

ARF!  ARF!   ARF!

I am gathering inspiration—adding to my

ARF!  ARF!   ARF!
arsenal. If only I could complete a thought, I might have a finished slice by now.

11 comments:

  1. Love it! I wish, though, that my reasons for not having a complete thought were due to a dog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh--it's not just kids that can interrupt the flow of slicing (or anything else!). If they didn't so often provide me with my material, I just might get frustrated with them. :)
    Love the picture and the slice. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this--and boy do I understand. Chloe has a new trick and jumps onto the arm of my chair when I'm not paying enough attention to her. Sometimes hard to keep ideas in the head!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A spiritual guide sort of friend of mine once told me to embrace the distractions. You did just that! Arf, Arf, Arf.
    I love the allusion, too. You crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes it is my own brain at 'arf's at me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did he just bark to bark or was there something important you had to see? I love the structure of this piece. Pets are funny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the way you have written this. The interruptions are very evident. I think this is how things go in class when we try writing too. Something is always interrupting us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd like to say ARF. Such a clever slice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahahaha, I LOVE the way you interspersed "ARF, ARF, ARF!" throughout your post! Cheery and clever. I also enjoyed this peek at your slicing life; how you described your struggle with ideas and how to express them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love it! tell your pup my dogs say RUFF from Oklahoma! They are BIG dogs!lol
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. (I'm shaking my head and smiling.) Ah the interruptions of thoughts. I love the structure of this piece. Thanks for sharing your learning through SOLC.

    ReplyDelete