Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Saturday, March 17, 2012

My Brain is on Fire


The Slice of Life Challenge is hosted by Two Writing Teachers
I am home.

My brain is on fire (and I don’t just mean because our house is 85 degrees due to the air conditioning not yet being replaced after our house was smashed into by a drunk driver—that’s another story).

I mean that after three days of professional development at the Illinois Reading Council Conference I am beyond inspired.  

It feels so good to be overflowing with ideas.  I am determined to battle against the feeling of letdown that comes with returning back to the reality of my current classroom after being immersed in the possibilities.  

Possibilities make me hopeful. 

This morning, Cris Tovani joked, “I’m getting nervous because I’ve taught 29 years and I still haven’t figured it out.”  This statement, coming from the likes of Tovani, is validating. 

Lifelong learning is a good thing.

10 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I'm so glad to hear Cris say that!! I love your hope in the possibilities! I wasn't even there, but I'm feeling energized and looking forward to more of your sharing! Rest and relax for now . . . let your brain simmer down now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh thank goodness I am not the only one that feels that way whew I thought it was just me. Waiting to hear more.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The line that will stick with me from this slice: "I am determined to battle against the feeling of letdown that comes with returning back to the reality of my current classroom after being immersed in the possibilities." I want to think on this more, but right now I hope the feeling of 'letdown' is quickly replaced with a feeling that acknowledges your wonderfulness as a teacher.
    I know that sometimes the reality of our classrooms and the possibilities intersect and we see magic. We need to push ourselves as teachers, to allow ourselves to become inspired to do new things in new ways, but we should also acknowledge our own ability to become inspired. That will to improve is a reality of our classrooms too. And it's plenty obvious to me that you have that already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always exciting to return with passion after a conference. I'm glad to hear Tovani's words too. Katie Wood Ray says something similar in her book, Writing Workshop. When the mentors I look up to feel that way, it gives me hope. I hope you can catch a cool breeze in the night. Sleep well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ditto Mardie
    This seems to be the time of year that I am privileged to attend professional development seminars so like you I worry about being able to take my good news back to the classroom and turn it into good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. If we ever think we have it figured out we should find something else to do. (For the kids' sake.) I hope you are able to organize all your inspiration so you can pick gems to incorporate now and some to save for later. Enjoy sharing your enthusiasm with your students.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep the fire in you burning. It gives light and guidance to your students. Like others, I hope that you will share some more of the inspirational ideas with us. To fuel our teaching and learning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perhaps as you share with us (hope so) you can keep those fires burning. Remember that the journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step! You can't do all the wonderful things at once, but you can begin. Thanks always for your inspiration, Christy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way you describe your brain being "on fire"! That's how I always feel after conferences and good PD, but I never thought of that description. Let those possibilities inspire you to do great things in your classroom! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. From what I know of you through your slices, I'm guessing it won't be long before the possibilities begin working their way into your realities back in the classroom. Glad you had a good trip and that you are back home, (almost) ready to return to your kids--the reason you do the work you do.

    ReplyDelete