Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Friday, March 23, 2012

I Got One


The Slice of Life Challenge is hosted by Two Writing Teachers
At the beginning of the year, J was not the least bit interested in reading.  In fact, my husband (who taught J in 7th grade) told me that although he’d never had a problem with J in social studies, J was considered to be a “high flier,” which means he was one the students with the most referrals (almost 20 during his 7th grade year, I checked).   

Today, I arrived to school late due to a doctor’s appointment that could not be scheduled any other time.  So, I had missed my first class—J’s class. 

But J made sure to find me today.   He had to tell me that just finished Forged by Fire by Sharon Draper (the second in the Hazelwood High trilogy) and had just started Darkness Before Dawn (the third book).  He was so excited to point out that Forged by Fire ends at the same point as Tears of a Tiger (the first book), but that Darkness Before Dawn picks up where the other books left off.  He said that even though it had a female protagonist, he wanted to read to find out the rest of the story. 

Recently, J had requested another Paul Volponi book from me, but I told him I’d have to order it.  By the time I was ready to place it in his hands the other day, he said, “You can read it first Mrs. Rush.  I have to finish this series and then I have to read that book R recommended.  I won’t get to that one for awhile.”

What??  J is finishing a series?  He is analyzing the way the author crafted the storyline of the series?  He has a list of books to be read?  He is getting book recommendations from friends?

Today, I needed to this moment with J.  My moments with D were brutal, but this moment with J more than made up for them. 

14 comments:

  1. Glad that he has found the power of story! Draper is a great author for teens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you must be an amazing teacher and J is a very lucky boy.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the excitement from J - definitely a reflection from your passion of connecting books with kids. Yes, hold on to those moments - oh, and you did by slicing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It's obvious that J is now A Reader. I love when kids are enthusiastic about reading. This is a great accomplishment for J. and a gift he will have for the rest of his life. You made the difference, Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a moment to hold close to your heart. You make a difference in so many lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And . . . a reader is born. Wonderful story, Christy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every J needs you as a teacher!!! You have given him the greatest gift, the enjoyment and love reading, of understanding stories. You have also given him so much more, something I know he will cherish and hold on to for a lifetime. I am sure you will be the teacher he remembers and speaks about with his children. Cherish this moment, it is yours to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like J is enjoying the life of a reader. I saw Sharon Draper speak at the Dublin Literacy Conference in Ohio in February. She was such a wonderful voice! I spend most of my time in picture books and adult fiction....but I'm thinking I may have to add her work to my list.

    Glad to hear of Js success.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Inspirational! You need to relish those moments know the difference you've made as a teacher in the life of this child - it's no small thing! You should be proud! And D will come along, know you've planted seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Can't wait to hear the story about the first time he self-identifies as a 'reader'.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yea for you! Tears of a Tiger and Forged by Fire are always books I hand to those boys who don't like to read. Draper filled them with magic, I think. Because they always finish them. (These are the books I gave the student I wrote about in Reading Machine last year). BUT--how did I not know there was a third???? On my way to order it! I have a couple of J's this year who need it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woo-hoo! And this is why people who love to read should be the only ones allowed to teach readers.

    Sweet success, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Come back to this slice whenever you feel down.
    Terje
    P.S Your previous post inspired my post today

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! A very inspirational story!

    Shannon
    http://www.extremereadingandwriting.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete