Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Craving Soccer


The Slice of Life Challenge is hosted by Two Writing Teachers
I woke up with a craving for pico de gallo and chips.  I nudged my husband awake and asked, “Are you going to contact Kevin to let him know about tailgating?”

“Yeah,” my husband groaned, still trying to hold on to his last few minutes of sleep.

“It looks cloudy, but hopefully the weather will just be chilly, not rainy today.”

“There is a slight chance of rain, but I don’t think it will happen today,” says my trusty weatherman, beginning to embrace wakefulness.

“So…what are we going to make for Beth and Kevin?  They always make the best food for us, I am afraid ours will not begin to compare.”

“Good question,” is all I get in response.  But this is good.  I have a plan.  If he had ideas of his own, it might be more difficult to push my own plans into fruition. 

“Well, I think we should have something more than just burgers.  Don’t you think so too?”  I get a nod, so I continue to lay the groundwork for my plan, “Well, we could make that pasta salad, but Beth is the one who gave me that recipe.  Or we could bring a fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil salad, but again Beth introduced me to that.  So, what do we make that is ours, just ours?”

I have no hopes that he will come up with the answer I am looking for, but now that I have him thinking, it is the perfect time for me to burst out, “I know!  You could make pico de gallo!  I could run to Whole Foods for those homemade chips and the rest of the ingredients.  Do we have time?”

I can see on Mark’s face that it is officially a plan.  He is looking at the clock and calculating the hours.  I have scored!  Goooooooooaaaaaaaalllll!

I can already smell the fresh chopped veggies, the lime, and the cilantro.  I can already hear the Chicago FIRE soccer fans singing.  Soccer season officially begins for us today with our first home game, with our first tailgate of the season, with our first batch of pico this year!

9 comments:

  1. Oh Christy, you are so clever! I love the way you planted the seed in your husband's mind and got what you wanted. Well done and well told!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I love how you didn't let him know right away that you wanted it, but then made it seem as you arrived at that idea after considering other recipes first! So funny and smart! I also love how you showed how certain foods can be a sign of special times of year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum and fun! Goooooaaaalll!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done! That looks worth the tiny bit of manipulation it took to get it! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. And you are so tricky. But sometimes you have to be that way with husbands. I have to work it so my husband thinks its his idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "A man without a plan is not a man" is a line from the movie "Dick Tracy". Perhaps part of their plan is to have a wife. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clever, clever. I like how your mind works on soccer terms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um--yum! Any chance there will be a recipe slice? My mouth is watering....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh the picture is so scrumptous! I love your conversation and the way you were able to create your idea into his. :)

    ReplyDelete