Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Cheating WITH My Husband


The Slice of Life Challenge is hosted by Two Writing Teachers
Is it cheating in the Slice of Life Challenge if I am sooo busy that I convince my husband to write a slice for today?  If Deb's dog can write a slice, can't my husband get away with it??  

It's all in fun...

Can you hear the grass growing?

The grass is starting to turn green again.  If you listen, you can hear it crackle and creak away the worries of the winter past.  Not that this past winter has been anything but mild and dry.  The blades of grass are starting to come back to life.  Some all by themselves alone, waiting for their friends to awaken.  Some are in groups, already starting the party that will take them into October.  If at this point…you are asking yourself, “SO WHAT”…

I will tell you SO WHAT!

The sound of the grass growing is about life.  It is about the life of a teacher that is reborn once the grass is green enough.  It’s about the children that are one-year older and celebrating the end of a school year to remember.  It’s about the burgers on the grill, the long calming sips of wine, the intimate connections with the birds as they eat and leave gifts on the cedar fence.

The sound is often muffled by the running of the lawnmowers of the neighborhood, the kids playing soccer between the houses, and the dogs rolling around in the newly green grass to cool off.  Even with these sounds to hide the sounds of the growing grass…listen, you will hear it grow.

Does this sound have a smell?  You bet it does.  Who doesn’t love the smell of freshly cut grass, the lawn after a nice steady shower, or even the freshly donated stool from the little barking doggie? 

It is time for you to join in.  The next chance you get…go out and listen to the grass turn green.  Listen to the grass growing.  Close your eyes and listen.  What is the worst thing that can happen?  You relaxed for a moment and listened to life instead of letting it all pass by? 

Enjoy today and all it has to offer.

Peace.  Mark

9 comments:

  1. Welcome Mark! You are a writer too, proven as you paint pictures with your words. You should join us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark has quite the voice, well done husband of Christy. This is exactly what it is like when the grass begins. My husband mowed for the first time yesterday. Growth is beginning in our part of the world. Your piece is going into my mentor text file. It is so rich with details. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought about listening to the grass turn green, but you know what, You're right. If I really listen, I can' hear it whispering....Soon it will be time to mow, soon it will be time to mow...which is certainly better than having to shovel! Nice piece...and I really did listen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a pleasure to read this funny and thoughtful post. I can't wait for the snow to melt, grass to start growing and finally announce the beginning of the summer. I promise I will listen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was easy to listen to the words of this slice. I'm with Kristi - you should join us, Mark. This is such a playful reminder to notice, rejoice. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think maybe you should have a blog too, or write with your wife. It could be a slice of lives! This is wonderful, all the parts made me think of a quote from the Talmud that I've loved for a long time: "Every blade of grass has its angel that bends over it and whispers, `Grow, grow.'" Thanks for jumping right in, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing voice! I could visualize everything Mark was writing about. In fact, I read it a few times to make sure I was taking in all the piece had to say. Great choice for a guest writer, Christy! and well done, Mark.

    This weekend I'll be sure to listen to the grass grow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Deb, I've not thought about listening to the grass...but now I have all kinds of new ideas spinning. Glad you wrote this month. Lucky us. :)
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad Mark joined us. You are quite crafty and insightful. With warm weather, I think I need to listen to the grass and enjoy the mmoment. Christy, be refreshed. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete