Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Monday, March 5, 2012

CAPTCHAS





JOIN THE SLICE OF LIFE CHALLENGE!

I never knew what those comment verification codes were until I read an article in MUSE magazine that taught me about captchas.

I used to think captchas were fun.  In fact, I started collecting them because I thought they were a fun way to play with language—a reason to create nonsense words that didn’t involve a reading skills test.  Typing them was almost like playing that game Balderdash.

Here is my collection of FUN captchas:
wedoi  (Do I read this: we doy? Or shall I give it a little French flair: we dwa?)
ploty (A new way to describe books that have good story, but not enough character: plotty)
turap (In my head this sounds like the Get Smart guy saying the word: trap in that exaggerated way of his)
smand (This is what it’s called when you stand and smile at the same time.  As in: Don’t just smand there, do something!)
mincolly (This is for when you are so down you can’t even enunciate the word melancholy)
rever (A rever is one who drives everywhere backwards)
fuggemec (This one sounds like a word I would not allow my students to use)
didyingel (Any word with didy in it earns my stamp of approval)
mate (How did this get in there?  This is an ACTUAL word!)
tweener (This is like the term ‘golden-ager,’ but for young people)
faming (You gotta love a rogue noun disguised as a verb)
redness (Another REAL word?  These captcha makers are slacking and uninspired)
caniums (This is definitely the word for brainy flowers)

Although this list of captcha words is all fun and laughs, recently Blogger revamped its system and changed the captchas from these friendly, easy to read playful words to the kind of captchas that feel like an aptitude test! 

Seriously, I am the only one who fails these things?  Could I really be a robot and not know it?

Because comments are the soul of the Slice of Life Challenge, I have decided to make a radical move.  I am going to allow robots to comment on my slices.  This might mean I have to be a bit more vigilant in deleting spamtastic comments, but your time, energy, and humanity are more important to me.  Please enjoy commenting with NO CAPTCHA standing in your way!

26 comments:

  1. Haha! I love your take on CAPTCHAs! I giggled when I read your descriptions of the funny words. Lately, I have had trouble reading the CAPTCHA words when leaving comments. I feel like I need better glasses or something. Oh, and I applaud your bravery when accepting robot commenters! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the definitions of the captchas--especially smand! And, you are not the only one who has trouble with the new ones on Blogger. I hate them! I really have to squint and work to get the right letters for some. I don't use them and have only had one or two spam comments in the last year. I'm going to continue living dangerously!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also thought it was fun to read through your thought process when seeing the different CAPTCHA words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your slice was fun to read. I have also recorded CAPTCHAs and played with meaning making. Lately it hasn't been so much fun because it becomes harder and harder to read them. Like Jennifer mentioned, it makes me wonder whether I need to get my eyes checked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, so it wasn't just my imagination, Blogger did change the "prove you are not a robot" system. Actually, this was a slice I was thinking about writing. It's like winning the lottery to see if I got it right when I hit the Publish button. Thank you, thank you my twisting brain and straining eyes say Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really don't like those words I have to write to prove I'm not a Robot. Thanks for taking me out of them. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So daring, so freeing - for us all! (I may have to eliminate the captchas step too.) Ok, so I had no idea that is what those silly little words were called. Captcha sounds like a captcha to me. I thought I was doing a lot of guessing when typing in the captchas and thought I was either getting very lucky or it didn't really work (as in, just type in a bunch of letters)! Thanks for the insight and loved your definitions too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness but this made me laugh. I could not even choose a favorite ... And your asides were great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was so funny! I think that those captchas are really funny, and sometimes I get the weirdest ones! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been trying to comment this evening on several slices, but I keep getting distracted by these captchas! Made me giggle! Thanks for sharing your clever meanings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh! I've wanted to collect those things too (I had no idea the had a NAME)!!! But boy are they annoying. This slice cracks me up!
    Tammy

    First Grade @ Klinger Cafe

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate the new Blogger captchas, so I love your move to rid of them.

    That being said, the captchas are almost like DIEBELS for adults. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun post...never really thought about collecting captchas...just annoying to me but now you have made it fun. LOVE how you recommend books. I'm thinking about having the kids in one of my classes try this when they finish the books they're reading for Book Clubs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Could I really be a robot and not know it?" I was wondering that about myself the past few days. These CAPTCHAS were driving me nuts. So hard to read AND the scrolling to get to "publish". I found I was holding my breath when I clicked "Publish" and then cheered inside every time it accepted it.
    "Smand" I think is my favorite. If I were in the classroom I'm afraid I would start using that one! What a riot! Really enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been saving those words for ages, Christy. I thought they might made a funny poem sometime. But, did you know Juliann & I are ahead of you? We turned them off last week I think-were so sick of those weird words we couldn't read. Thanks very much for this. I often have to try several times to get through! Maybe a revolution has started!

    ReplyDelete
  16. BTW, that was delightful being able to just push "Publish". I think I'm going back and opting out of the hurdles now too. I'll just get rid of spam if it shows up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh this was soooo much fun to read! I'm going to start using some of your Captcha words in real life, like in real conversmation. Conversmation is what happens when you're just smanding there and talking to someone. :)
    You are one creative girl, Christy. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a fun post. You made me laugh! And, I'm glad to know that Captchas really are getting harder to read...I thought my eyes were getting worse!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks! I wrote about this a few weeks before the challenge started and have turned of my word verification too. I have only had one spam so far. I am getting comment fatigue from trying to prove I am not a robot everytime I want to respond.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are amazing! On the verge of peeing in my pants every slice I read!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been thinking the same thing...and your slice reminded me to take the time and make the switch. ;)
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  22. Christy, I am cracking up. I totally agree with Mrs. Chock's comment. I didn't even know those annoying words had a name. Thanks for clarifying that. Actually, I think they have been testing my eyesight as I do not always recognize the correct letters and then have to retune new ones in. Oh, I do love reading your slices. Now to just figure out how to make my google read to recognize my name when using my iPad.
    MaryHelen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your collection of funny captchas was great -- what a fun idea! I have also been going crazy with the new, two-word, hard-to-read ones, so I loved the "radical" tone of your last paragraph! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I didn't know they had a name either. You learn something new everyday and today I could be a robot and still learn it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Omg, so awesome. (Totally feeling you on any word with 'didy' in it, btw.) Today I had to type in the word BYACH. No joke... Wha?

    ReplyDelete
  26. God bless you! and how do you take that thing off--it's probably driving people crazy when they read my slices too!
    And no, you are not the only one who fails at them....and apparently, neither am I!

    ReplyDelete