Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Breathing


The Slice of Life Challenge is hosted by Two Writing Teachers
Tomorrow the Illinois Reading Council Conference begins. Every year when it comes time to submit a proposal to present, I think it is a good idea.  Every year when it comes time to present, I panic and wonder what I was thinking.  I have been scrambling to take care of all that needs doing before my husband and I get on the road to head to Springfield: pack, put the finishing touches on our presentation, write guest teacher plans, clean off my desk at school, dump out the rest of the egg salad before it turns on us, get the plans for my team’s makeshift advisory set for next week…the list goes on. 
In fact, I was so busy I still haven’t read or commented on yesterday’s slices, nor did I write my own slice—I convinced my hubby to do a “guest slice”!!

Then, wouldn’t you know it?  He writes exactly what I need to hear.  I have been looking with longing at our backyard while the weather teases us with hints of a season change.  I have been trying hard to be forgiving when my dogs are obnoxious because I know they aren’t getting enough attention from me. I have been making plans for what I will do when I have more time.

But I haven’t had more time.  I haven’t stopped.  I haven’t breathed.  I haven’t sat down in the backyard and listened to the grass grow.  Because I haven’t taken the time to do any of these things.
So, here I am.  Stopping.  Breathing.  Slicing.   

13 comments:

  1. The beginning of your post is just how I felt last summer when I presented at a conference for the first time. It was such a great idea when I signed up, and then I panicked when it was time to do it! :-) Most of all, I love your ending -- how you realize you just have to take the time to do those things. This challenge has made me realize that about blogging, and your post has reminded me that I should make time to "stop" and "breathe" as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this- thanks for this reminder. I agree on how important it is to stop, slow down, and savor- but boy do I forget all that sometimes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel, and I'm glad that you've stopped to breathe. It's not easy to remember sometimes.
    I love the sounds of the words as they flow together in this sentence: "I have been looking with longing at our backyard while the weather teases us with hints of a season change." I notice the alliteration 'looking, longing' and the imagery of 'weather teasing with hints.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you take time to listen to the grass grow this weekend! Life seems to all pile up in spots sometimes. Nice to get it all smoothed out again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I now have a list of things that I am planning to do this weekend. Things like look for plants that are starting to shoot out of the ground, listen to the birds, notice the new smell of spring. Thanks for helping me to realize that without a plan chances are I won't take the time to breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the verbiage: Stopping. Breathing. Slicing. Take a breath. Everything will get done and your presentation will be great! Wish I could be there to meet you, but too hard to get away with my little ones, so I'm opting to attend the IRA in Chicago. Take another breath. Best of luck to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes life moves at warp speed. Hang on and wait for it to slow down so you can enjoy it. Have a great conference and enjoy the new learning. The end was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope the conference is fabulous - both your presentation and all the great things you get to soak in, breath in. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck for a great conference, Christy, & you still made time to come read my post. You are dear. I loved Mark's post (just read it) & yours here that tells you to breathe, stop & smell those roses!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yea for you. Breathe. And great husband for slicing for you. Wish I was going to your conference--bet you'll be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How come we forget to breathe? It's good to have someone who reminds us. Good luck with the conference.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like it when you stop, breathe, and slice. I always feel like it is such a gift.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  13. The list. The list of to dos is never ending. So glad you took some time for you. Be refreshed. I'm glad I was blessed with your reflection.

    ReplyDelete