Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Monday, February 27, 2012

THE PARTY


Last week, I posted about my husband’s upcomingbirthday.  Now that the day has passed, I am going to seize my opportunity to brag about his party!

My husband is a social studies teacher at the same school as me.  In fact, his classroom is directly below mine.  I sometimes hear him through the vents.  At the beginning of the year, when his new students ask if he is married, he answers, “My wife is up there,” and points to the ceiling.  He waits just long enough for the room to get silent and sympathetic, then bursts out with, “No, I mean the classroom right above ours.  She’s an 8th grade language arts teacher.  Jeez, you guys are so serious!”

Although he is the most incredible teacher I know (he connects with students like nobody else I know), his dream is become a YA writer.  He has been working on a book since I met him over 12 years ago.  It wasn’t until recently, however, that we finally rearranged our schedules to intentionally make time for him to write on a regular basis. 

So, it was only natural that his 50th birthday party have a retro typewriter theme.  To top it all off, his party was held at a local 50s style diner owned by a friendof ours. 

I made him a banner using my typewriter key font from Creating Keepsakes.

Our guest book involved use of this fabulous vintage Underwood typewriter I was able to get last minute from Blurred Visionary on Etsy. 

 
I typed 50 of the thousands of reasons why I love my husband as my page(s) for him. 

This note from a beloved colleague made us both tear up when we finally had time to sit and read the messages.

Another friend of ours created this beautiful cupcakes display in the form of a vintage typewriter keyboard- even down to the missing number “1” key!

The party favors were silver button pins containing the message “write your story” with an image of a retro typewriter.

I made table centerpieces by placing quotes and jabs about turning 50 in these clothespin holders that I stamped with a vintage typewriter.

Best of all, we got to spend time with old friends. 
 My husband, Mark (on the left) with his old friend Dave (on the right).

Me (on the right) with my dearest friend since 2nd grade, Beth (on the left).

I liked being in charge of this celebration!

20 comments:

  1. And what a celebration it was! Your attention to detail was amazing - even the cupcakes were arranged just so. Thank you for sharing this with us, and for that hilarious story about the "wife upstairs"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a well thought through party. I hope that your husband gets to fulfill his dream of writing a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun. Love the ideas that you came up with for the typewriter theme! And jealous of the party favors. Love the write your story message!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite line... At the beginning of the year, when his new students ask if he is married, he answers, “My wife is up there,” and points to the ceiling. What an amazing party. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a special man he is, as we know from last week's post, and that you did all this for him is special. He must have love every single moment. I especially like that people typed messages for him-that is a huge gift! Thanks for sharing Christy-loved all the pictures & those cupcakes-priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome party! No detail was left hanging. He must have felt so loved this night. We all need moments like this.
    I loved the story at the beginning, what humor! I know I would love to hang out with you and Mark. Loved all the pictures, cupcakes - yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. L-O-V-E all of the incredible things you did for Mark with the typewriter theme. What a great party you threw!

    As a huge cupcake person, I especially loved the cupcake typewriter. Deb talked about making a Pinterest Board with Slicers' images. I'm going to create one of my own now with your typewriter cupcakes as the first thing I post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderfully creative party! I loved the idea of the notebook. What a beautiful message to your husband from your colleague.

    I laughed out loud at your story about the wife upstairs, which prompted a funny look from my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a special day! And you sure deserve a lot of credit for creating a memory down to the little details! I love that you both have this connection to writing, sharing, and telling beautiful stories. I wish Mark the best with his novel -- you know where to find readers!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for inviting me to this special party. Your story telling transported me there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a creative party! He will cherish the typed notes and your loving list forever -- what special gifts! Thanks for sharing the pictures because they really show all the hard work you put into your theme!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous details! The pictures are beautiful. Where did you find that typewritter stamp? I love the typewritter theme. What a special memory you made for your husband with the party and then the special memories contributed by folks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pictures and words together - and oh, those cupcakes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun! thanks for sharing this amazing day with us. i could visualize your smiling all thoroughout the event. Love the cupcakes! and the typed notes! Treasures forever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great way to turn 50! You are so blessed to have each other. Why hasn't he joined the blog-fest here?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Christy....I just LOVE reading your slices each week! I find your love for life so uplifting & refreshing! So glad to read about the party after reading last weeks slice! What a wonderful way to celebrate a wonderful man! JUST love the wife upstairs story!
    Happy 50th to your hubby & wishing him many happy birthdays to come...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your party - how well thought out! And his comment to his students about being married made me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow. Just wow. That's all I can really say!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sweet! I love typewriters almost as much as I love true love. Happy birthday, Mark!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  20. Christy, what an imaginative theme for a writer's birthday party. You and your Mark must be so well-matched. Thanks for sharing your celebration!

    ReplyDelete