Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Reminder of My One Little Word


Last week, after being prompted by Stacey, I wrote about my one little word for 2012: nudge.   


Since then, I have been carrying my OLW a bit closer to the front of my conscious mind.  I have been visualizing what it might look like to live with this word for a year. 

I picture myself questioning less and encouraging more.
I picture myself teaching less and empowering more.
I picture myself stressing over the small things less and focusing on my professional growth more.
I picture myself talking less and listening more.
I picture myself floundering less and making decisions more.
I picture myself letting life pass me by less and engaging more.
I picture myself wandering less and walking with purpose more.
I picture myself sitting on the couch less and DOing more.

I picture these things and I hope I have the stamina to follow through.  Luckily, I was reminded today that I am surrounded by people who want the same for me.  People who are willing to give me a nudge when I need it and people who will give me support when I need it. 

Today I unwrapped a new iPod shuffle, a gift from my husband to make my workout music more portable when I go to the gym to run, and was surprised by an unexpected addition.  Mark had decided to get the shuffle engraved for me, to remind me of his belief in me and his unwavering support. 


I am considering myself nudged.  And I love the feeling.

9 comments:

  1. That is one amazing man! I love the statements of you envisioning how nudge will shape your life. I was nodding my head, saying "Me too!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful surprise. Your husband must have loved sneaking around for this. I like the different ways you thought through the 'nudging'. It will be fun to see how everyone carries this through the year. Happy New Year Christy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great! What a great man you have married to think of engraving "your word" onto your ipod. You are one lucky woman

    ReplyDelete
  4. No gift can get better than this--a husband who listens and supports. Nudge is a very clever word. I can see it working when you hesitate and when someone around you needs that little extra Nudge to get them to the finish line. Happy nudging, Christy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet! I can't wait to keep hearing more and more about your OLW. (Tomorrow I'm posting about mine.) Love the image almost as much as the line: "Teaching less and empowering more."
    Thanks for writing today,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only does this engraving remind you of OLW but also about your husband's love. There's no way you can stop exercising now.
    I really like your OLW. It asks for a little bit that may eventually lead to a bigger result.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very, very cool! Your husband hit a home run on this one, and so did you--sounds like you found the perfect word for a new year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so sweet! I love it! I love that your husband listens to you and was so thoughtful to embrace your journey this year with your OLW. Love your word by the way. I'm still toying with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore that sentiment...and you will do all of those e things...even if it's only one a day!!!

    ReplyDelete