Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Thursday, January 5, 2012

A Blog Challenge


I keep reading about blog challenges for readers.  Since I started a book blog, I think participating would be a good nudge for me.  So, I kept searching until I found just the right one. 

I wondered if I should pick something that would push me to read books I wouldn’t usually pick up.

Then I wondered if it wouldn’t be better to start with a challenge that is more tailored to my tastes.

Then I wondered if I should start with a challenge that had levels to it, so I could pick my difficulty level (but I knew I would choose the hardest level anyway).

Then I toyed with the idea of just creating my own challenge, like a reading goal.

For a while I considered this challenge to read classic books paired with YA lit.  That one still sounds like fun.

Then I found the perfect challenge—a challenge that will help me make connections.  I have enjoyed reading MotherReader’s blog posts with an edge for a long time (sort of the same way I started by quietly reading the inspiring blog posts at Two Writing Teachers before jumping in).  This challenge seemed like just the nudge I need to participate in another community of bloggers: The Comment Challenge hosted by MotherReader and Lee Wind

Created by Lee Wind @ leewind.org by adapting this 1950 Hoover ad in Life Magazine
Not only is this a nudge to seek out, discover, and comment on new blogs, but it is a nudge to post regularly for 21 days on my own bookblog.  

It is only day one.  I have exceeded my comment quote for the day (logging 7 comments instead of only the required 5) and already I am making connections with friends new and old (like Linda and Tara).

I already love The Comment Challenge!

4 comments:

  1. It has been fun today, I agree, but I'm not sure I can handle eighty some blogs-wow, there are a lot of people out there! I was happy to see your name, Christy, a good & familiar face. I have taken one other reading challenge from the Gathering Books blog because it will take me reading all over the world. I will try the commenting thing, but am not sure I can write every day. I love what you're doing here & with your book blog. Your students should love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to see that have a blog for "ex-students" - I do, too, and it's been a great way to keep the reading life we started together in our classroom. The comment challenge has been interesting - lots of reading ideas, which is a bit overwhelming, I now have so many titles to read!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, wait -- you're ALSO going to post EVERY SINGLE DAY on your own blog?! You are officially the Comment Challenge rock star!

    I'm enjoying poking about your site -- thanks for visiting mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know...this commenting challenge is the best one ever..I am finding great new blogs and voices...I am now reading more blog posts than my actual book...oh oh...that is not good!!!

    ReplyDelete