a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Monday, December 26, 2011

One Little Word 2012: nudge




This is a word I have found myself returning to again and again lately. 

It works for my teaching life: I want to nudge the writers and readers in my classroom forward.  I don’t want to drag or push them.  Nudging almost denotes a sense of invitation—a sort of encouragement and inspiration to do better, to be better. 

It works for my writing life:  I want to nudge myself forward into uncharted writing territories this year.  I am ready.

It works for my personal life:  I want to nudge my loved ones to work towards their dreams.  To do more than just accept the world as it is, to be more than complacent.  I want to nudge myself to make time, to prioritize, to move closer towards what I want in life. 

It works for my life: I want to be open to the nudges I receive from those who care about me and who see possibilities for me that I may not be receptive to myself.  I want to notice when I am being nudged by the universe.  I want to respond to those nudges for they might be just the push I need to engage with my life—to really LIVE this year.


3 comments:

  1. With that last sentence, 'nudge' connects well to your blog title too! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, Christy, & will have a good week this week, too! I'm still looking for my 'olw'-it's a tough choice so far for me. I like hearing about all your reasons for your pick. Maybe it'll help me broaden my search. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it! And, like Linda, I enjoyed reading all your reasons for choosing "nudge". I keep thinking about mine, haven't quite come up with it yet.

    Hopre you enjoyed your holiday and are relaxing a bit before going back to school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it. (including the button, which I'm sure you made) Nudge is great word for a teacher. Myself I need something more forceful like shove or kick. hehe

    ReplyDelete