Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Flies

 
I like people until they give me reason not to, she said.

Some days they just drop like flies, though, she added.


Today was a drop like flies day.  I keep trying to find a way to write through it, but I am not getting very far. 

I tried focusing on the young people in my life because they are my reason for so much doing. 

I tried focusing on my husband because he is always on my side.

I tried focusing on my mom because her voice of reason is never more than a phone call away.

But certain other grown-up people just keep busting into my thoughts.  I think this might be what Ruth was talking about when she said that sometimes she justdoesn’t feel like blogging.  It’s not really about the writing.  It’s about the sharing. 

5 comments:

  1. Sorry for such a rough time & I don't know what happened, but when stuff happens to me, I just come home and say it's a 'kick the garage door' kind of day, and I stomp, and I sputter, and all of those things. So go kick something, or yell, or write it down & then burn it. Best wishes, Christy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's OK not to share--some things need to be kept inside or at least private--

    And, you are a Story People fan??? The original store is 20 miles from my house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Deb, I LOVE Story People!! I discovered Brian Andreas at a shop called The Afternoon at the Mall of America the first time I went there (years ago). I collect prints and books. How cool that you are so close to Brian Andreas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at the connection you made with Deb by posting today. How cool is that? This is what happens when you blog when you don't feel like it. Serendipity!
    Sorry you have those others busting in your thoughts. Grab hold of the good ones and don't let go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt like this today, too. Maybe it's the season? Or, happenings? Or, life? We'll write through it :). Keep trucking, Christy! Love the honest post...

    ReplyDelete