Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Slice of Life Story in which Falling Behind Puts Me Ahead


I turned off the water in the shower and reached outside of the curtain to grab my towel. 

“Babe?” My husband’s voice startles me.  He is usually still sleeping at this point in my morning routine.  I know I hit the snooze button a few more times than usual, but I am not that late.

“Yeah?” My response is muffled as I dry my face with the towel.

“You never set the clock on your side of the bed back an hour.” 

“So I am early?  An hour early?” the realization slowly sinks in. 

“Yeeeeahhh,” his response is measured.  He doesn’t trust Morning Christy to respond kindly.

“Oh,” for now he is spared my wrath.

I guess I am not late after all, but somehow I am not feeling relieved.  I am bummed.  There is no turning back now.  I am awake.  Wide awake.

I was dog-sitting at my mom’s house all weekend.  When I arrived home late last night, the clocks around the house were all set back an hour.  Or so I thought. 

It never occurred to me that my husband wouldn’t have touched my alarm clock (honestly, probably a smart move on his part).  It never occurred to me that the time on my side of the bed was different than his.  Probably because IT IS ALWAYS DIFFERENT!  (He sets his clock 20 minutes faster than mine.  For no reason.  It does not cause him to be early.  There is absolutely no reason for it.)  It just never occurred to me, but I struggle for the first fifteen minutes after the realization, trying to make it my husband’s fault.  

Now that I have settled into the idea, and I am all ready to go—an hour early—I am also ready to let go of my irritation over the mix-up.  It is really my own fault and my own inconvenience.  My husband has been found innocent on all charges. 

Instead of looking it as an hour of lost sleep, I am instead going to look at it as an opportunity to start out my day an hour ahead.  And I could sure use a day where I feel ahead of the game, even if only for an hour!

13 comments:

  1. Yes, we must all have a story. It's one of my favorite weekends, seems like I gain more than an hour, and this time I got to share the plus with my daughter! We are all time stressed, so the little gift of an hour is a pleasure. Sorry you didn't get a little extra snooze too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do all husbands set their alarm 15 minutes early and then hit snooze?? Drives me crazy! I never see the point. Glad you are looking at the extra hour as a blessing. Sometimes that extra hour is just what you need to get off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all have a story... that's for sure! Thankfully I outsmarted daylight savings time by doing everything for my daughter an hour later than usual for the three days leading up to the time change. Thankfully she woke up at her normal 6:20 a.m.!
    I like the positive spin you put on waking up an hour early. I taught Hebrew school in college and was witness to quite a few parents who forgot to change their clock back and brought their kids to school an hour early only to realize they had to keep them an extra hour 'til Sunday school began. Never saw the positive spin on that one!
    -Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is it with husbands and setting their alarm clocks before their wife's clocks? They must teach them in kindergarten!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha. I like how you describe yourself as "morning Christy." Yes, morning me can be quiet different from afternoon me. Very truthful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha, I like the reference to "morning Christy" too! I'm the same way -- soooo not a morning person! An entertaining story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband knows better than to touch my clock also. I like getting up early so when the time changes, and the evening feels like it comes so early, I get sleepy watching the 6 o'clock news.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad you found out the mistake before you headed out the door. I loved the section where you reasoned it had to be his fault but then realized maybe it wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had me giggling! Of course we all have a Daylight Savings story. Of course, mine is that I get so obsessed with checking the clocks and making sure it really is the right weekend to change them that my family will probably lock me up.
    Love how you wove in the parts about whether or not your husband deserved any of the blame...just to be certain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah... that extra hour. For me, that hour has made it even harder to get back to a normal schedule. IT's always something don't you think?
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh no it's AlWAYS the husbands' fault! lol and never let them think otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was great, the time thing with husbands, must be in their DNA! I especially like how you turned it positive, always a good idea, not necessarily easy to do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love daylight savings - the only time all year that I feel ahead of the game!

    ReplyDelete