Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Versatile Blogger? Me?


Initially I discovered the Two Writing Teachers site and stalked it from afar.  However, after jumping in and starting my own blog to participate as a member of the TuesdaySlice-of-Life community, I discovered a world of like-minded cyber-friends.  One such kindred spirit is Linda at Teacher Dance.

Linda’s blog posts are some of my favorites to read.  I always look forward to seeing what she has to say and often long to work with her at the private school for gifted children where teachers are graced with her literacy coaching.  That kind of expertise, inspiration, guidance, and support is not easy to come by in my world.  So, I find myself thankful time and again for the connection I have with Linda online. 

I recently got a message from her to check out her latestpost.  Much to my delight, I found that she had named me as a Versatile Blogger.  So, now I have yet another reason to be thankful—thank you, Linda, for the recognition (and the kick in the pants it is giving me to blog for a reason other than Slice of Life Tuesday)!

As a recipient of this honor, I have been invited to pass on the good vibes to others by:
·      Thanking the person who recognized me and providing a link back to her blog.
·      Sharing seven bits of information about myself.
·      Passing this award along to 15 other blogs that I have discovered.

So, a BIG THANKS to Linda at Teacher Dance, who is one of my favorite poets!  Another BIG THANKS to Deb at Coffee With Chloe for also nominating me!

Now, for seven things you never thought you needed to know about yours truly:

1.     I am a stacker.  My life can be summed up in layers of papers that tell my history like sedimentary rock.  Don’t judge—I can find things quickly. . . most of the time.    

2.     My husband is the best teacher I know.  We met while working at another school in our district.  The only year we have worked in separate schools is the year we got married.  He is one of the most beloved teachers in our building.  I am not going to lie; I use my affiliation with “the coolest teacher” shamelessly to get students on my side.

3.     I talk to my mom nearly every day.  She is the sole reason I am sane.  She is probably also the sole reason I am a touch insane as well: I hear her voice in my head all the time!

4.     When I win the lottery, I plan to open my own school and ban grades.  I am a big fan of assessment and feedback.  But grades???  Who ever said grades were a good way to give feedback? 

5.     I have a propensity for consuming all things orange: Diet Sunkist is my drink of choice, carrots are my favorite veggie, and anything that involves cheese is my friend.

6.     I took a risk this year by proposing an intervention class.  I am terrified it won’t turn out to be successful.  We have had some rough days.  I have big visions of Hilary Swank playing me in a movie one day if it does turn out to be effective.

7.     When they make a game show where contestants need to name book titles and authors of young adult literature, I will be reigning champion.  That is what sticks in my head.  Just don’t ask me to remember a number or anything related to geography. 


Drumroll please . . . and now, here are the 15 bloggers I would like to acknowledge for being Versatile Bloggers who have impacted my blog life (there was nothing in the rules about there being no tag-backs):

1.     Linda at Teacher Dance, whose words are always inspiring.
2.     Deb at Coffee With Chloe, whose perspective often makes me laugh and always makes me glad I visited her blog.
3.     Dena at Uno Son, who is the best mom I know (aside from hers or mine)
4.     Ruth at Slices from the Sofa, whose dry wit cracks me up and leaves me craving more.
5.     Diana at One Literacy Coach, who needs to move to Illinois and convince my superintendent we need her in our building.
6.     Susan at Live, Love, Laugh, and Create! who reminds me to escape work head for a moment.
7.     Ruth and Stacey at Two Writing Teachers who are the reason I blog.
8.     James Kennedy who is a mad fun author visit. 
9.     John Green Need I say more?
10. DonalynMiller who writes what I wish I would’ve thought to write first.
11. Thestudents of CTL at You Gotta Read This! who are taught by none other than Nancie Atwell.
12. MotherReader who is one of the first bloggers I started following- I think you’ll quickly see why.
13. SusanBeth Pfeffer whose author visit to our school was a memorable experience  for all of us (us in a good way, but unfortunately I think we made the NEVER-VISIT-AGAIN list).
14. TeriLesesne at Professor Nana’s Journal who has a doctorate in young adult literature.  Who knew that even existed?
15. NealShusterman who was our best author visit.  Ever.  “Words can change the world.” 


2 comments:

  1. Wow, Christy, you are going to make my blog list so very long. Thank you for the wonderful words. I wish we could all get together to teach. What a school that would be! I imagine you are one of the cooler teachers, too, like your husband. It must rub off somehow. And, I love that you have a close mom. I miss mine very much & we talked almost every day. Plus, I hope you'll blog about your intervention class. I'd like to hear more about it. This post made me smile, of course a little selfishly, but I always like what you write no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christy! I agree with Linda--my google reader is going to be on overload. Please blog about the intervention class. I'm pretty sure I'd recognize a few kids :)

    ReplyDelete