Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Something I’d Like to Be Better At . . . Cooking!



As a means of introducing ourselves at the beginning of the school year, my students and I each fill a paper bag to share with items representing certain pieces of information about ourselves(such as: a talent or special ability I have, the best part of summer vacation, something I dislike, one of my favorites, and something I’d like to be better at). 

This year, I had a new “something I’d like to be better at” item to share: a spoon to represent cooking.  Up until now, my husband has been the cook in my house.  I am the baker, but when it comes to dinner I am only good for preparing, warming, ordering—nothing that resembles “cooking.” 

This school year, when my husband decided to go back to coaching boys’ soccer, I figured maybe I better step up and help out in the kitchen.  The groundwork had already been laid this summer when I was inspired by my dad’s girlfriend and my lifelong close friend to learn a few new dishes (homemade pesto and an amazing pasta salad). 

So, I became addicted to 10 Dollar Dinners with Melissa D’Arabian and I headed to the nearest Trader Joe’s for ingredients. 

After a weak attempt at ‘Clay Pot Fish’ without a clay pot, I realized that although I could tweak ingredients, there are some supplies that are just non-negotiable.   I got bold and moved on to some more difficult dishes:

‘Pangasius Rolls’


and ‘Tilapia en Papiollote.’ 

After two successful meals, I am hooked.  Cooking is my new escape after an exhausting day at school.  The best part is that there is a tangible reward for a job well done: delicious food!

7 comments:

  1. Those are some incredibly exotic looking meals! Wow! Can you share the amazing pasta salad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! Send us some samples.
    BOnnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your meals look amazing and very professionally photographed I must say! I also liked the neat little intro activity with the paper bag! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! And fish recipes too. The photos make them look so good. It's such a nice idea to have something to do to help you relax after a full day, & you're so right, the reward is actually chewable! I like the way you started with a connection to school. I have used that activity, but never included the 'something I'd like to be better at'. What a great idea. Bon appetit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been a risk-taker. Have fun with learning and experimenting. Head isu!
    Terje

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job! That is something I'm going to have to do now that I'm retired. Maybe you should start a cooking blog to feature your experiments in cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've named you a Versatile Blogger. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete