Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Everyone Deserves a Tiki Torch


On the season finale of The Middle, Frankie (the mom) buys a tiki torch to turn the backyard into a summer paradise only to be smacked in the face with the realization that each of her three children have huge hurdles to overcome in order to finish the school year before her summer paradise can be fully enjoyed. 

Well, although I feel her pain, with two of the busiest, most labor intensive weeks of the school year yet to face, this weekend my husband and I “bought the tiki torch” so-to-speak. 

These are just a few of the “tiki torches” that turned an ordinary yard into our backyard paradise: 

our dog Aurora snagging some shade underneath the Adirondack chair

our dog Roosevelt acting like he is a real dog (instead of the prissy princess he really is) by lying in the grass

our hybrid poplar trees swishing in the breeze, creating the sound of ocean waves or a seashell cupped to an ear

sunlight and a sweeping breeze that made shadows dance on the fence

and I couldn’t resist adding one “front (side?) yard paradise” picture of Duck Daddy who comes around (usually accompanied by Duck Mommy) to snack on the dropped birdseed from one of our many feeders

Here’s to finding your own tiki torch!

6 comments:

  1. Great segue into your own tiki torch, and lovely photos, too. Thanks for looking at things small that are important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well if the northwest would just get some sun! My tiki torch still involves hot cocoa and a blankie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice backyard paradise you have created. I like that your poplars create the sounds of the ocean. I hope you get to enjoy this special place soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pictures and that you look forward to your yard over vacation as much as I look forward to mine! I hope that soon you get to spend most of your time in your summer paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love The Middle. I loved how you connected the Tiki torch to your own backyard paradise complete with pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you describe the sound of a tree. I love the dogs and the duck. They make me smile.
    Terje

    ReplyDelete