Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

As Promised…



Sadly, these two (three?) mistakes in apostrophe usage came from within my current school district.  I would love to say that these are the result of some home schooling run amok, but I would be fooling myself. 

Every time I walk past the banner in the display case in the main hallway in my school that reads “Inferno Schedule: Febuary…” I shake my head in dismay.  If the thing wasn’t encased in locked glass, I would have corrected it long ago.  I have brought it to the attention of the Powers That Be multiple times, but apparently the standards we hold for our students don’t apply to staff.  It may sound crazy, but every time I see it, I picture this fictitious scenario: a parent who brings her child to our school cafeteria one evening to participate in the Boy Scouts program that utilizes our school as a venue sees that banner, shakes her head, makes a clucking sound, and says to herself, “and that is why I home school my child.” 

4 comments:

  1. I am so impressed, Christi. I haven't seen one yet, & I look and look. However, perhaps I shouldn't be celebrating? I'm glad you're trying to correct it. Maybe you could get a student revolt going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apostrophe mistakes or any type of errors on school published/printed material makes me shudder. I like your imagining at the end. To tell the truth, I've had the same thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My eyes are immediately drawn to typos and grammatical errors (except for my own, sadly). I don't understand how they don't bother anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom used to type dissertations for college students to earn extra money. She was a master speller and editor. Those errors would have driven her nuts. I wish I would have inherited her skills. :)

    ReplyDelete