Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Friday, April 1, 2011

Slicing with Students


This year, the Slice of Life Challenge motivated me to try something new with my students: an Edline discussion.  Trying out this technology for something like the Slice of Life Challenge opened the door for me to come up with other reasons to create discussions.  See, Ruth (and Stacey), you just never know where your influence stops!

Aside from managing the technology of the challenge, this is what I learned from slicing with students:


I get more participation if I build in some flexible class time during which students could choose to participate. 

Students need lots of models.

I enjoy writing informally with my students, where I feel more of an opportunity to celebrate their writing instead of correcting or re-directing them.

I write differently if I intend my students to be my audience than if I intend the public-at-large as my audience. 

I want to be able to teach my students to set up their own blogs in the real world. 

It is essential for me to take the time to comment, comment, comment for my students to remain fueled.

Even students who did not participate (after the practice I forced them into trying) still observed quietly from a distance, the way I did when I first started reading Ruth and Stacey’s Two Writing Teachers blog.

Doing this challenge with my students fueled me as a teacher. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. I think I have changed as a teacher of young writers and I think about audience and purpose differently. And I think I have even more regard for kids that are willing to take risks.

    ReplyDelete