Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Friday, March 25, 2011

Two Stories


Talking in the Dark Before Falling Asleep

“What does your day look like tomorrow?”

“I have a stupid literacy coach meeting tomorrow after school, and it is an assembly day of all days.”

“Do the principal and assistant principal attend your literacy coach meetings?”

“Yup, but they don’t do anything.”

“That’s funny, because I have a key leader meeting with them after school tomorrow.  Clearly, one of us is either wrong or going to get a free pass.”  Pause.  “I hope it’s me.”


Checking My Computer in the Daylight Before School Starts

It wasn’t me.

4 comments:

  1. Oops! What happens at your literacy coach meetings? I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't have "real" literacy coaches at the middle school level in our district. My husband is the literacy coach for the social studies department. Each department has a teacher who volunteered to be trained in reading strategies (we have a district-wide set of strategies that we call "The Great 8," which are based on Strategies that Work by Stephanie Harvey and Anne Goudvis) and to coach the other teachers in their departments to use the strategies as well. At the meetings, the coaches for each department meet to plan how they can better support the rest of the teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Literacy coaching aside - I liked the way the titles of these two snippet stories set the scene for these two private moments on the edges of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So--it wasn't you that made the mistake, or it wasn't you that had the meeting? I love the ambiguity of it all, how it left me thinking not about the eventual resolution, but about the moment when you turn on the computer and have the ah-ha moment of realization.

    Do you and your husband get to have lunch together? My husband and I did that often when I was going to school at his UC. Sometimes it was in his office, and some times we both had time to steal away to the Botannic Gardens and sit on a "memory" bench (purchased by some man in memory of his wife). I loved those days.

    Elizabeth E.
    http://peninkpaper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete