Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Scent of Ink on a Page


Have you ever smelled a book?  I am telling you, each book has its own distinct scent.  There are few scents as appealing to me as that of ink on a page—old, new, or otherwise.

One of the best aspects of attending the Illinois Reading Council Conference is the exposure to the latest and greatest in young adult literature.  Today I got my fill!  Becky Anderson, of Anderson’s Bookshops, presented a session about the latest picks for students in K-8.  Immediately following her presentation, I hightailed it over to her booth in the exhibit hall and did some shopping.  There are still many more books on my wish list, but I felt like 10 books was a good start.  My highly sophisticated system of ranking the books as she spoke proved helpful in determining which 10 I wanted right away.

I am basking in the anticipation a deep whiff of each of these fresh books causes.

3 comments:

  1. I guess 'yum' is not exactly what one says when talking of smells, but seeing your picture & hearing your experience sounds quite delicious, & my favorite food is books. But, you are right, they do smell wonderful. I think that's why I love bookstores so much. Really, that smell is there when you enter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is neat that you have a system for ranking the books. I've never really thought about how I have checklist for books too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read 4 of your outstanding choices. Your eyes and mind will be just as happy as your nose! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete