Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Friday, March 4, 2011

One Little Word


I’ve seen this One Little Word challenge around on several blogs, but I have never really pinpointed its origin.  It appears to me to be a scrapbooker’s challenge, but is also a healthy way of developing a mantra for the year.  So, when I thought long and hard about my New Year’s resolutions, I gave some thought to how I could sum them up in “One Little Word.”  So, here it is, my One Little Word for 2011: apathy. 


Okay, I know it sounds sort of negative, but before you judge, allow me to qualify my One Little Word with an explanation.  Apathy is the absence of feeling, and therefore, seems to have a negative connotation.  However, when I hear the “apathy, apathy, apathy” mantra in my head, it is always to remind myself not to sweat that over which I have no control. 

You see, I am the type of passionate, driven person who has gotten myself into some trouble over the years by allowing my passion to leak out in the wrong manner and at the wrong times.  So, rather than being a sign of my negativity, my One Little Word is merely a healthy exercise in self-control: refrain from feeling strongly about things I can’t control, and I will refrain from speaking strongly about things I can’t control. 

Some days it is not as easy as it sounds. 

9 comments:

  1. I get it, I too have found myself in situation where my zeal was too much for some. Thanks for giving me something to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great word and great sentiment! When I hear the word apathy, I immediately think of the class below me in high school. Their slogan was "Apathy 96" and they would chant it as slowly and as un-energetically as possible from a seated position at pep rallies.

    I can relate to your ideas here, and I plan to adopt a bit more control for the rest of the year, as well. It might make my life a bit easier.

    -Carrie F.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember my sister--somewhere in her late thirties--saying to me "I try not to have an opinion about most things." I, being several years younger didn't get it. I get it now. I think it's a corollary to your "apathy," and a parallel to how I approach many things now. Notice I said many things, not all things, for I find that my passion for life is not something I want to lose entirely, even if does end me up on the wrong side of my opinions.

    Elizabeth E.
    http://peninkpaper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think learning when to be heard and when not to is one of life's most difficult lessons. It is great that you have found a strategy to help yourself. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup... I hear you Christy and same with me. Too passionate for my own good...advice from my mom. Don't be so honest all the time...
    But then that just wasn't me...
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard about this too and settled on the word "listen." It's not as easy as it sounds, especially when there is some quiet sitting around that I feel needs to be filled with words right away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your "one little word" got me thinking...in the context you present, it makes so much sense. Yes, this is something I need to cultivate, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been asked so many times, "Why are you so passionate?" How does one begin to answer that? I love your use of the word "leaking" to explain how passion leads to problems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciate you presenting a surprising word for consideration. I know that your mantra will whisper to me occasionally too and I'll not be so turned off by the word anymore.

    ReplyDelete