Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My Day in Numbers

Because I am missing Family Math Night at school tonight, I decided to write “My Day in Numbers” as a sort of tribute to the world of math.

This morning I baked 18, 2-inch, peanut butter w/ peanut butter chip cookies. 
Today I taught 3 classes, consisting of 22-32 students each. 
After school, I packed a total of 6 bags and a rolling cart (all were entirely necessary, I swear). 
Before leaving, I opened 2 packages from UPS (containing a surprise gift of books from a dear friend and the long-awaited NCTE journal containing my published article). 
This evening, I traveled over 200 miles to attend the Illinois Reading Council Conference for the next 2 1/2 days (I won’t mention the travel speed, but simply because I don’t want to overwhelm you with more numbers). 
I parked to check into the conference and stepped out of the car to find 1 dead bird (this is not a bad omen, and you can’t convince me otherwise) at my feet. 
I checked into the conference and received 2 complimentary books.   
For dinner I ate salmon with 2 side dishes. 
After dinner, I spent $38 and saved $9 on the purchase of 1 windbreaker because I failed to pack a jacket in any of my 6 bags or even the rolling cart (would love to blame this oversight on the husband, but have to take full responsibility myself). 
Upon returning to the hotel, I made 1 phone call to check on my 2 dogs (who are visiting my mom, making the sum total of dogs in her house a harmonious: 3). 
Soon, I will settle in for a restful 6-8 hours of sleep, resting my head on 2 pillows (covered in puffy, white, hotel blankets that will feel like sleeping in the clouds).

2 comments:

  1. Creative mix of numbers in a slice. And actually quite descriptive of your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds as if your day has ADDED up to a great one! Clever post-I wish I could be there at the conference. And-I just received my journal, too. I'll look up your article. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete