Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Lucky

This morning my husband and I were headed in two separate directions.  I had to get up early to drop the dogs off at the groomer and he had an early oil change appointment.  Though we have plans to meet up again in the afternoon for the first home soccer game of the Chicago Fire’s season, I missed the laziness of a Saturday morning, lingering in bed to read together or padding around the house in our pajamas for an extra hour.

I headed off to the groomer with the errands of the day on my mind.  On my way home, I was surprised (though not entirely, since my husband has become less and less of a “morning person” over the years) to find that he was just pulling out of the garage as I was pulling in.  I waved to him, and smiled to myself that I stole this extra moment of connection with him. 

I unloaded all of the schoolwork from the back of my car into my office in hopes of actually catching up this weekend.  I thought about where to start while I have a quiet, dogless, husbandless house to myself for a couple of hours.  I headed further down the hallway to put down my purse and keys. 

That’s when I noticed the scent of my husband’s man-soap mixed with aftershave and cologne lingering in the air.  During the weekdays, I leave before him, so it is a rare occasion that I actually get to enjoy the clean-man scent (although other, less savory,  man-scents are a common occurrence).  I was amazed to catch myself smiling at the luck of being enveloped in this remnant cloud of fragrance marking the recent presence of my husband.  I feel lucky.   

7 comments:

  1. What a great slice--make sure he gets to read this! We all need the appreciation at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazinng how the sense of smell can spark memories. Great slice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're in a parallel universe this morning--I walked into the bedroom where my husband was putting on his shoes and the smell of his shampoo was like a halo of fragrance around his head. I stopped and commented on it to him, then we headed back into our respective caves to do grading, lesson prep.

    Lovely post.

    Elizabeth E.
    http://peninkpaper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. I love that you noticed the lingering clean-man scent (and who doesn't love that?) and that it led you to think about how lucky you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! What a perfect moment. Nothing beats catching a quick whiff of clean-man. It sounds like you have a great connection with your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you created this slice -- two paths crossing until . . . sniff. Sniff. I love that scent too and next time I'm surprised with the lingering scent, I will think about how lucky I am!
    Thanks for giving this scent new meaning!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. You seem to be very connected. Sometimes I will catch a lingering scent getting into our car after he has driven it. Hope your weekend is full of joy.

    ReplyDelete