Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Laughing at Lightning


With all of this thinking about music, I finally sat down to upload some more of my CDs into my iTunes. This should have been a relaxing project for a Sunday afternoon.

Enter: Aurora.

You see, my dog has an obsession with flashing or moving light. She has been known to lunge at the wall to catch the beam of a passing car’s headlights.

Have you ever noticed how a CD reflects the light? Aurora did. Every time I took a CD out of its case to pop it into the slot on my laptop, she went crazy. Her bark was so irritating due its intensity and high-pitch that I could no longer continue to upload music.

Later on, I settled myself on the couch with both of our dogs to watch the Oscars, my guilty pleasure. It is my experience that dogs make the best company during the Oscars because nobody else appreciates the glitz of the production like I do.

Enter: Thunderstorm.

It took one flash of lightning to peel Aurora away from my side. She went tearing at the window in an effort to “catch” the lightning.  This time, the playful nature of her misguided attack had me cracking up. 

How can the same obsession be so irritating one moment and so hilarious the next?

4 comments:

  1. Your last comment left me with a connection. Since I do not have dogs, I was reading along enjoying the story but not truly connecting. When I got to your last line, I instantly started to think about how this connects with my daughters and how I can get irritated at times with them going through a phase of something that I ask them repeatedly not to do; yet, at times it is hilarious. I am always debating how hard I should laugh or whether or not I should take a picture wanting to document it but also not wanting to encourage the behavior further!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dogs are freaking hilarious. Sometimes I wish they could talk to us, other times I just like to make up the conversation that I think my dog is thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dogs are hysterical! Your Description is very vivd! Great start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have dogs but I do have cats. This is what a dork I am. After I read your slice, I went hunting around for a CD and started flicking it around in front of one of my cats to see if they would play with the reflected light. It worked.:) Your dog reminded me a little of Winn Dixie.

    ReplyDelete