Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Just a Slice


Take a deep breath.

I find myself needing this reminder today.  I feel like I have returned home from the reading conference and hit the ground running.  I need to give myself permission to take a night off. 

There are so many ideas and seeds of ideas scribbled in my little notebook that I want to capture before I get pulled back into the pace of my day to day.  I want to pin them all down to examine, like butterflies in a shadow box. 

I have to remind myself that the ideas will still be there tomorrow.  They do not yet have wings to take off into the distance.  I have to tell myself to relax and escape into the first Chicago Fire soccer game of the season.  It is an away game, so I can even watch it in my pajamas while I reconnect with my pups on the couch.

There is a voice within me that keeps pushing me to find direction, to take these seeds of ideas to another level, to keep going.  Tonight I need to quiet this voice. 

I take a deep breath.  I slow down long enough to write.  This spot on the couch (in my pajamas, near the dogs) is begging me to stay.  Just a slice is enough writing for one day.  Just a slice is all it takes to make me relax.  Just a slice.  The rest can wait until tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I can feel the excitement of all your new learning from your conference. The line about pinning ideas down like butterflies in a shadowbox really stuck with me. I find slicing helps me think and focus also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all need time to process, to pick and choose. I look forward to checking back to see what bits of inspiration work their way out onto the page.

    -Carrie F.

    ReplyDelete