Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Thursday, March 10, 2011

It’s a Memory


I talk on the phone with my mom nearly every day.  I don’t think there is a time when I am more me than when I am on the phone with my mom.  Mostly, we just catch up on the day to day.  Occasionally, though, our conversations are the kind I want to keep in my heart for a long time. This was one of those conversations.

I was lamenting the way my dogs have ruined the couches.  I complained to my mom that their frequent naps along the top edge of the couch have caused a permanent dip in the back pillows.  My mom said, “They haven’t ruined the couches, they just created a memory.”  Then she followed this up with, “That’s what you told me.  Remember when you and Rebecca had to turn the dining room table on its side to block Bear into the kitchen that night?  Remember how you scratched the dining room table?  Well, I was furious that the table had been scratched, but you looked at me and said, ‘It’s not a scratch mom, it’s a memory.’  So how could I stay mad?” 

I knew the night of which she spoke, but I hadn’t remembered calling the scratch a memory.  I was warmed by the reminder that once upon a time I was filled with sunshine and refused to see the bad in things. 

That conversation is my reminder that all of the bumps in the road I have been feeling lately will, one day, just be memories.  

6 comments:

  1. What a touching story. It is great that you and your mom are so close. Mom's have a way of remembering things their kids say and do and giving those memories back just when they are needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "What goes around, comes around." That's what my mom would tell me frequently. You're very fortunate to have those loving conversations with your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely gift that your mom gave you. The way you wrote your dialogue made it feel like a real phone conversation. Your second sentence when you wrote about really being you with your mom hit me right away and made me think of my relationship with my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom's are simply amazing! I love the idea of a "disaster" becoming a memory. It's true, because you always remember the situation when something doesn't go right. You were one smart cookie at a young age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet slice! And for your mom to connect and remember your story! I love that line too - creating a memory. I think it is appropriate to use in many situations, as you mention. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I love that way of looking at things and am resolving to do it more.

    ReplyDelete