Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

In-between


Lately, I have been feeling very… in-between.  The weather has been caught somewhere between winter and spring.  So, the house has been caught between the extremes of sweltering in the sunny afternoons and freezing during the thunderstormy nights.  I am torn between dressing lighter for spring and staying bundled for the remnants of cold, winter air.

I am wavering between moments of complete and utter dedication to my work and moments where I want to escape more than anything.  I find myself pulled between pride in my students’ growth and maturity and devastating disappoint at their apathy.  Our district is even somewhere between being led by the retiring superintendent and being led by the incoming superintendent. 

All of this has left me feeling kind of…in-between.  When I feel…in-between, I find the best thing to do is park myself on the couch in-between my sleeping dogs, right where I belong.  Sometimes in-between isn’t so bad.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, you have captured the way I feel. Sometimes I feel this way on issues...stuck in the middle. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. This is a great post. I like how you were able to show different types of being in-between, especially since many seemed to be negative, but then you pulled in the positive slant at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's that time of year, too, isn't it?

    I like your post--how you spiral out from what you feel inside to the next level and the next level, then brought it back down again. Perfect, perfect.

    Thanks for your nice comments on my blog--I appreciate them a lot, and I, too, am glad to reconnect with you this year. Will you be continuing on your blog posting, or waiting again until next March?

    Elizabeth E.
    http://peninkpaper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Elizabeth, I definitely have a more solid plan this year to continue blogging, but whether or not I have the stamina remains to be seen!

    ReplyDelete