Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Saturday, March 5, 2011

I Get It

Will I shake this off, pretend it’s all okay, that there’s someone out there who feels just like me?  There is.

-from the song “There Is” by Boxcar Racer (the side band of some of the members of Blink-182)
I get it.  These three words were the first three words of the comment elsie left me on my One Little Word slice.  These could possibly be the most comforting words in the English language.  I am not sure what is more validating than knowing you are not alone. 

I also think these words are the reason I am a reader and a writer.  I read to find my thoughts articulated through someone else’s words, and I write to put my thoughts into words that others can read and understand.  In short, I read and write to understand and to be understood.  What else is there?

And so, today I find myself filled with gratitude that I can be part of this community of Slicers brought together by Two Writing Teachers. 

5 comments:

  1. This is so true--being a part of this community-online even--has been such an affirming and energizing experience. I love not only seeing how others string their words together to express themselves or to share, but also the chance to peek into the lives of others. Especially others who are at least a little bit like me.
    Thanks for this post. And thank you for your comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew how important comments were until I started my blog. What a surprise to find my words and name in your slice! I love learning about everyone through their slices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect post. I am new to the blog world and feel the same way. It's so nice to have validation for your thoughts and ideas. This is truly a wonderful writing community. Happy posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And thanks to you too, for reaching out to communicate with a fellow blogger. "I read and write to understand.." Writing is the fork-to-mouth part of understanding the power of the word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great point and you are so right. Those are the most comforting words in the world.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete