Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Happiness is The Gap

Another advertisement from The Gap in my inbox usually just means it is in an ordinary day.  However, this one is different.  Today and tomorrow only I can earn a $25 shopcard if I spend $50, it entices me. Add that good news to the fact that I have a $50 Gap gift card (earned with my Bank of America World Points) and you have all the bliss that a good bargain hunting shopping spree promises!

Am I the only one who dresses intentionally for shopping?  I have to have on comfortable shoes, but not look too sloppy.  I have to dress as if I am worthy of the new clothes in the store, but not wear clothes from that store.  I have to wear something that is easy for trying things on, but heavy enough so that I can avoid wearing a winter coat into the store.  It is a lot of work to do this shopping thing correctly.

After paining over an outfit, I finally made it to the car—iPod cranked, Gap-bound, and ready to enjoy every gorgeous moment of the journey.

5 comments:

  1. No - you're not the only one who intentionally dresses for shopping. You're right about the comfortable shoes and not looking sloppy. If I don't feel pretty, I don't end up buying anything. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Similar experience...especially the dressing.
    The only difference for me was my store was Sephora!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You described it exactly. I always have to prepare well, then anticipate, then go! I actually enjoy the experience with my daughter just the same, takes two for a full conversation. Thanks for acknowledging this getting ready; I never thought it might be something to write about. It made me happy to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are totally reading my mind. Yes about the shoes. Yes about the dressing so you don't need a coat. Yes about dressing so you can change fast! For me, the store would be TJ Maxx. My favorite line in your slice is about dressing like you are worthy of the clothes in the store. I do the same thing but I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have written my exact process, too! Today, my store was Old Navy and I am all about wearing shoes that slip on and off for the purpose of trying on clothes :) Also, something weird: I can't try on a dress or skirt while wearing socks!

    ReplyDelete