Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Everyone Needs a Soundtrack

 If there was a soundtrack to my life, the Cheers television show theme song would have been playing this evening:


Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.
Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Wouldn't you like to get away?

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name,
and they're always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see,
our troubles are all the same
You wanna be where everybody knows
Your name.


I have been teaching for 11 years.  I have the most apathetic group of students I have ever seen this year.  Our district administration is undergoing drastic changes that have only resulted in deepening the wounds our teachers feel from the nation-wide scorn for teachers.  Needless to say, this is not my best year.

However, I walked into Carlucci Restaurant this evening to the welcoming arms of Pearson Education.  I have never been so happy to be schmoozed into buying textbooks.  I was immediately offered a free beverage and appetizers.  Then, I was inspired for an hour by the words of Jeff Anderson (run-on sentences = compound sentence readiness).  I was fed a gourmet Italian meal.  I was given a $100 gift certificate for Pearson products, and even entered in a raffle to win an iPod.  Did I mention I got to meet Jeff Anderson??

At the end of the evening, I walked up to my regional representative, and nearly burst into tears (this is the point at which the soundtrack would have kicked in as background music).  I was just so happy to be treated like the dedicated, knowledgeable professional educator that I am.  I am going to hold on to this feeling… (ooh, there’s another track for the album of my life).

1 comment:

  1. What a great way to end the day! On those hard days, it's nice to be treated to free food and inspirational words from experts like Anderson.

    -Carrie F.

    ReplyDelete