Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Monday, March 14, 2011

Becoming a Writer


I am anxiously awaiting my March 2011 edition of my NCTE journal, Voices from the Middle.  The online version was already e-mailed to my inbox, but that is not enough.  I want to see my name in print.  Ooh, I love the sound of that. 

A year ago, I read the call for manuscripts for the “Honoring Student Voices” themed issue.  I have never had the confidence myself to write and submit an article, but I certainly believe in my students enough to push one of them to write an article!  So, I did. 

It turned out that when her article was accepted, I was asked to write an introduction to it.  And so, I have a small piece of writing published in a national journal.  All thanks to a student.  What a beautiful, symbiotic relationship!

There is something about this writing thing that builds momentum.  Once I get started, I am motivated to write more and more.  Feedback definitely helps build that momentum.  Participating in a community of writers helps build that momentum.  Seeing my name in print doesn't hurt one bit either. 

6 comments:

  1. How exciting! I'm sure your student is as excited as you. What a special moment this will be for you to share together. Congrats ahead of time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to you and your student. You should be excited and motivated. This may be just the beginning for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! A dream come true! You are a published writer! Celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos to you and your student! What a great reflection on your guidance and teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of a "symbiotic relationship" -- Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful for you and your student! And you're right, the online version isn't quite the same as the paper and ink version in your hand! Hope it arrives soon.

    ReplyDelete