Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My Love/Hate Relationship with the Grocery Store


My husband is an incredible guy.  He does the laundry.  He almost always cooks dinner.  He even picks up the dog poop in the backyard.  The jobs I deem most undesirable, he is always willing to take on.  Except for grocery shopping. 

After several trips where I chastised him for not pushing the cart through the checkout line in front of him and backing into the checker behind him to scoot the cart past him, he is no longer interested in the task.  Go figure. 

So, I am left to fend for myself each week.  The only problem is: I. Love. Food. Quite often as my groceries are being rung up, the checker will say something like, “Oh, are you having a party?” To which I lower my eyes and confess, “No, and there are only two of us at home.” 

At one point, my husband and I were actually shamed into switching grocery stores when the manager of one of the big chain stores sent us a hand-written thank you note for our business.  That’ll teach that manager to have good customer service!  We were so embarrassed by the red carpet treatment, that we turned and ran to the other big chain sore near us!  Well, that AND we started Weight Watchers. 

So, today when I went to the grocery store, I was not looking forward to gathering the items on the long list that just seemed to keep growing.  When the cart was so heavy that I could barely maneuver my way through the store, I was hesitant to head to the checkout line to face the checker who would have to total all of this food for just the two of us.

However, today I chose the right line.  As I stacked my unbelievably overflowing cart’s worth of food on the conveyor belt, I listened to the friendly banter of the checker and the patron in line in front of me.  Sometimes friendly chatter is all it takes to spark a change of mood.  Well, that AND knowing I was heading home with a truckload of good food to eat!

3 comments:

  1. How lucky to have a husband who cooks dinner! I like to watch people's carts and think about what they are preparing with the assortment spread out on the conveyor belt. Sometimes I wonder what they think about my items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your slice today!! I really like how you described your feelings about the thank you note...it made me giggle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your post. There is always something interesting going on in a grocery store line. There are a lot of teens and college students that work at my regular grocery store. The check-outs and baggers have very personal conversations right in front of customers, like they aren't even there. It's kind of funny.

    ReplyDelete