Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Learning to Blog

I think the hardest part of blogging for me is letting people in. Blogging is a unique writing format because of its immediate connection to an unknown audience.

Today, a friend sent me the following message:

Ok so I am showing this to just you for right now....I am working on a blog for my son’s 5th birthday...It's kinda chronological right now but then I have topics I want to tackle in separate entries...I would love your first impressions. Hope all is well...

To understand what this means to me, it is important to know some of her back story. We have been friends since high school. She has one child and due to complications from his birth, she is unable to have any more children. She and her husband were part of an open adoption, but after almost a week with their new daughter, the parents reclaimed her.

I have been encouraging her to blog since ever since. She had been blogging about her adoption experience (which was even the way the birth parents originally located her). Being an English major with a knack for creative writing, her blog was especially enjoyable. When she stopped abruptly after losing the baby, I missed the glimpse into her thoughts and feelings that her blog allowed me.

Today, I read her new blog. It tells the story of her journey through the first five years of her son’s life and will continue the story of her journey through the next five and beyond.

Reading her story, I was overwhelmed. It just hit me how really awesome it is to have a friend who would let me into her head and her heart the way she did.

That got me thinking about blogging.

As a teacher of writing, I was interested in the way she chose episodes from the first 5 years of her son’s life to write about. I noticed the way each of the episodes has its own conclusion and yet is part of a greater whole—much like the chapters of a book. I appreciated the voice that came across in her written reflections.

As a friend, I focused on the way she wrote openly and honestly about some of the most difficult moments of her life.

As a blogger, I wanted to move people the way she moved me.

Up until now, my goal by blogging has been simply to push myself to write more and to become a more active participant in the amazing network created by The Two Writing Teachers that I had only watched from a distance for so long.

Now, I want to do more than write. I want to do more than participate. I want to let people in.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Blogging is pushing me out of my comfort zone. Can't wait to learn more.

    ReplyDelete