Header

Header

a quote from my favorite author

“The most solid advice, though, for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”

-William Saroyan, The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Priorities

I open up my laptop with my left hand while I slide the switch on the belly of the wireless mouse to “on” with my right. I adjust the lap desk until it is situated just right so that I can maneuver the mouse without disrupting the dog curled near my elbow.

Before my brain has time to process what my body is doing, my fingers are already beating out a familiar rhythm on the keyboard. I feel at home in the light of the screen.

I start with Google. It is like home base. Everything loads faster when I get there from Google. This is not proven, but it is a belief so embedded that it has led to an involuntary ritual of sorts. From Google, I head to my work e-mail. I am a woman whose priorities are in the right place.

After industriously dismissing the work-laden school e-mails by claiming to myself that I will return to them at some better, more productive moment I like to refer to as “later,” I happily head to my personal e-mail account.

My personal e-mail account; however, is really just a vehicle to get me on the road to my ultimate destination: Facebook. It is at this social networking site that I will squander way too much of my coveted evening time. Like I said, I am a woman whose priorities are in the right place.

1 comment:

  1. Funny! I waste a lot of time on the web, and it's mostly when I'm exhausted--brainwise--and do not want to do ANYTHING else. Since we started slicing, I've abandoned FB to write comments, but am still behind on that (many more people than last year, but I'm trying to get around to everyone--just taking me longer).

    I've enjoyed reading through yours.
    Elizabeth
    http://peninkpaper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete